Facilities & Services Holiday Closure
December 15, 2015
TO: Business Officers
FROM: Ron Swail – Chief Operations Officer, Property Services & Sustainability
RE: Holiday Closure - St. George Campus
The University will be closed from 5:00 pm Tuesday, December 22, 2015 to commencement of the working day, Monday, January 4, 2016 when normal activities will be resumed. During this period, all buildings will be closed except for the following locations. Users should contact these facilities for holiday hours.
Athletic facilities are open throughout the holidays – reduced hours (check website for details)
Closed: Dec 24, 25, 26, 31 & Jan 1
Open: Dec 23, 27-30, Jan 2-3
Please check website for more details
University of Toronto Bookstore
In the Koffler Student Services Centre
Closed: Dec 25, 26, Jan 1
Open (reduced hours): Dec 24, 27-31, Jan 2-3
Please check website for more details
(Robarts) Closed: Dec 24, 25, 31 & Jan 1
(OISE/UT) Closed: Dec 23 - Jan 3
Gerstein Science Information Centre
(Gerstein) Closed: Dec 24-26, 31 & Jan 1
Engineering and Computer Science Library
Engineering & Computer Science Closed: Dec 23 - Jan 3
Division of University Advancement at 21 King’s College Circle -
open to accept donations
(416) 978-1221 or
Closed: Dec 25-28, Jan 1-3
Open: Dec 23 (9am-4pm), 24 (9am-12pm),Dec 29-30 (9am-4pm),
Facilities & Services support will be modified as follows:
- Buildings will be locked at 5:00 pm on Tuesday, December 22, 2015. There will be no cleaning staff on duty after December 22 until January 4, 2016. Persons entering and leaving buildings during this period must ensure that all doors and windows are secured at all times.
- For buildings requiring caretaking services during the close-down period, prior arrangements should be made through the Manager, Caretaking Services, Ron Atkins at 416-946-7160 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Costs of opening or cleaning buildings will be charged to departments at overtime rates.
- The last outside garbage pick-up, from all areas, will be on Tuesday, December 22, 2015. Routine service for garbage and recycling will resume on Monday, January 4, 2016. In the case of special requests for garbage pick up, please call Reno Strano at 416-946-5711 or email@example.com (Departments will be charged for this special service)
- The University intends, as in previous years, to take advantage of this period of low activity to reduce energy consumption. While all essential services will be maintained to critical areas, such as active computer centres and residences, ventilation and the ambient temperatures in most University buildings will be reduced to below the standard comfort level of 20ºC. To reduce the risk of a freeze-up in individual room units, it is essential that occupants make certain all windows are closed and heating units are left in the "on" position. A skeleton staff of operating engineers will be in attendance to ascertain that all systems are operating as scheduled and to respond to trouble calls. If, based on your experience last year, you anticipate problem areas, please advise Tony Kern at 416-946-8814 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- The University Campus Police Services (416-978-2323 or 416-978-2222 for emergencies) will be available 24 hours a day throughout the entire period. Any security issues or breakdown of building systems should be reported immediately to 416-978-2323 or 416-978-3000.
- Campus Mail Services, while not open to the public, will be sorting mail during the holidays. Departments should expect a large delivery of the accumulated mail on the first day back as in past years.
The cooperation we received last year was sincerely appreciated. Please ensure that this memorandum is widely distributed. It may also be accessed at: http://www.fs.utoronto.ca/ (under the News section).