The University of Toronto – one of Canada’s Greenest Employers 2015
The University of Toronto is once again honoured to be recognized as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers 2015
There are always good reasons to celebrate Earth Day, but now the University of Toronto has one more.
In a Globe and Mail article published this morning, U of T was named one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for the second time.
Recognizing employers that “lead the nation in creating a culture of environmental awareness in their organizations,\” the Canada’s Greenest Employers competition was launched in 2007 and is organized by the editors of the Canada’s Top 100 Employers project.
Each employer is evaluated in terms of:
- The unique environmental initiatives and programs they have developed;
- The extent to which they have been successful in reducing the organization’s environmental footprint;
- The degree to which their employees are involved in these programs and whether they contribute any unique skills; and,
- The extent to which these initiatives have become linked to the employer’s public identity and whether they attract new people to the organization.
Facilities & Services, a department within University Operations, facilitates the Greenest Employers application, in collaboration with the various constituencies of the University.
“This award is an extremely rewarding and well-deserved recognition of the tremendous efforts being made by a large network of people who work to integrate sustainability into every facet of our organization.” Said Ron Swail, AVP of Facilities and Services.
“From the many dozen student groups, to our three sustainability offices, to the hundreds of academics engaged in research and education, to our facility departments, to our alumni network and our incubator activities where research, teaching, and creativity blend into products and services which reduce our environmental footprint, the University of Toronto is truly a leader in sustainability.”
Some highlights of the University’s work that contributed to our being recognized as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers include:
- The work of the extensive list of environmental and sustainability groups at U of T
- Various initiatives run by the three sustainability offices: St. George Sustainability Office, UTM’s Environmental Affairs Office, and UTSC’s Sustainability Office
- Exemplary research being done by more than 400+ faculty/researchers doing work in the area of environment/sustainability.
- The programs being run by Food Services/UeaT to encourage sustainability.
U of T has many environmental achievements to celebrate year round, but especially on Earth Day, it is wonderful to see this recognition of U of T’s ongoing efforts. It reconfirms the efforts of our endeavours on all three campuses.
Be a part of the ongoing efforts to make our community “Greener” by taking the Green Champions Pledge
To see a timeline of the University’s sustainability initiatives, please visit the Facilities and Services website.
To see the 2013-14 Sustainability Yearbook, which highlights the many reasons why it is “Greener here”, please visit the St. George Campus Sustainability Office website.
The reasons that U of T was selected as one of “Canada’s Greenest Employers” can be found on the Top 100 Employers website.
April 21, 2015